Forum

General Chatter

I retired a couple of months ago and comping was one of the things on my list to try now that I have spare time. This site is great but I do get a bit frustrated when I go to a 'free to enter' competitions only to find the link doesn't seem to work or I fill in all the details only to find that if you're a winner they will only contact you by phone - I only use my home line and am often away - or you have to be on Facebook (I tried that for 8 days last year then closed my account). But I suppose I'll learn the inns and outs. Can't wait for the influx of 'you're a winner' emails!!!

Trying
20 Jan 17 8:17 AM

I'd rather be contacted by phone then you know its actually a legitimate win. I won a trip to Aspen last year and the only way they let you know if you won was by e-mail. I thought it was a spam e-mail and deleted it. Luckily for me they found me (my phone number is silent) through my parents phone number of all things and I was still be able to claim the prize. Best prize ever and now I'm so careful of reading my e-mails. I personally think they should do both, contact through e-mail and phone. Good Luck.

SunnyLife
20 Jan 17 8:35 AM
T

Thanks for that. I'll make sure I check every email before I delete them. Some of the comps only reply by phone not both unfortunately.

Trying
20 Jan 17 8:59 AM

Welcome and good luck :)

Brookemaree93
20 Jan 17 12:54 PM

Hi @Trying and welcome. I use a little prepaid mobile as my contact number most times. Also a separate e-mail account as you will get lots of e-mails. Good luck :) There are some very good articles on the blog that are a good read.

fourleaf
20 Jan 17 7:15 PM
T

I have always been contacted by phone, followed with a confirmation email for the big wins, but the reverse applied to me- they rang and I thought it was a hoax until I received the email!

Travlmad
21 Jan 17 10:26 AM

Wishing you the best of luck with your comps. It's exciting winning :)

SMary92
25 Jan 17 12:16 AM

@fourleaf I like the idea of a prepaid mobile for competitions. @Trying you can always divert your home phone to your mobile by pressing #21 then your mobile number then * (and #21# to undivert) that way you won't miss a call and it will allow you to see incoming phone numbers. This was handy for me 12mth ago when The Good Guys rang me. I googled searched the number to confirm it really was them. Good luck!

gaseja
25 Jan 17 5:49 PM
T

Thanks for the feedback - sounds like I need to invest in a prepaid mobile.

Trying
26 Jan 17 10:14 AM