Forum

General Chatter

Sorry, not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.
I sometimes enter competitions that have a box showing several ways to enter (like in the image I have attached) but even after I like them on Facebook, subscribe to newsletters or YouTube channels etc, most of the them show no indication of my entry in the box marked "Your Entries". Even if I refresh the page or return to it later. Does this mean that my entries are not actually registering for some reason.

Patloveswinning
06 Mar 17 3:15 AM

@Patloveswinning, are any of your social media accounts set to private? Perhaps the entry is not showing (and perhaps not 'entered' as such) if the account/s not set to public. Just a thought. Is there a pattern to those entry tasks that do show each time, and those that don't? For example, when you click on subscribe to the promoter's YouTube channel, do you then click on 'Subscribe' on the channel and confirm the subscription? Hoping someone else here has a solution for you. @admin @Zedmin any thoughts?

toxicgherkin
06 Mar 17 7:46 AM
V

Delete your cookies and click on that edit thing and un link everything and then log out and then log in and then re link everything
There you go!
Then have a few slices of pizza
Thank you I know I'm supreme

vnessa
06 Mar 17 10:48 PM

You need to click on the blue +1 sections etc for each entry. They turn from green to blue when you've clicked on them and validated each. See my photo for an example :)

Bel7861
07 Mar 17 10:45 AM

Oh a Gleam comp. :)
I've been having lots of fun automatically extracting Gleam comp details for my database to store when it starts, ends, has daily bonus, referral, comp title etc etc.

Gleam giveaways are one common entry management system used by promoters there are many others. The appearance is what you will usually see displayed for the pic you posted.

Notes regarding Gleam giveaways
ONCE a social media account is used for entry of a gleam comp it can be difficult to change later on. They store all your social media accounts used for entry for ALL previously entered gleam run giveaways. If a social media account becomes banned/disabled/deleted you won't be able to use that entry method until rectified. I think there's a process of emailing gleam.io to change a social media account used if you require changing a social media account. (it's not something you want to do often if at all)

What @Bel7861 mentioned entry actions are performed by selecting the options on the right. They may also require a confirmation selection provided. ie. next to the Cancel Option that pops up below the entry method. The confirmation is usually grayed out and can't selected until you have selected the entry method on the right.

Entry methods may load up a webpage to visit and/or complete a task. Once done switch back to the Gleam entry form to confirm that entry method.
NOTE don't refresh the Gleam entry page in the meanwhile before selecting the confirm entry option which now should be highlighted and available for clicking on.

Some actions are done automatically like sending a tweet entry, following on Twitter/Instagram thou not always. Sometimes presented with I've already tweeted to confirm the action etc.

Sometimes I double check to make sure the action was performed correctly. Say if clicked on an entry method and it's awarded before actually completing it. YouTube subscriptions I find this happens sometimes. To check either hover the mouse just above the entry method description to bring up the link and select or copy into a new page. If a link isn't provided you either need to check your internet history or dive into the Gleam page source to find the link. i.e. search the page for say "Youtube" etc until you recognize what it maybe. (that's not for the faint hearted thou not too hard)

Apart from not being awarded an entry method being disqualified for being awarded entries for tasks not completed properly can be just as frustrating.

Your issue may be one of the following:

*Social media account hasn't set authorization for the Gleam App
The first time you use a Gleam comp with a social media account authorization may be required by that social media eg Twitter. You can see the list of authorized apps in twitter settings. Sometimes authorization is requested again. For other giveaway management systems eg Raftercopter forms same applies. Twitter must allow it to access your account details.

*Social media account set to private.
-Gleam confirms entry for most entry actions performed
-I don't think it checks YouTube subscriptions thou when they draw they will check action is completed for a valid entry.

*Social media is temporary suspended/banned
Will need to reactivate the account according to their procedures.
Grr twitter disabling me couple of weeks ago for "automatic" tweets then delaying the SMS code for reactivation. Lesson stagger your gleam comps/tweets throughout the day.

*Gleam has suspended/banned your account
They may flag users as banned for any suspicious activity. i.e. Attempts to cheat the system. eg automatic scripts for entry have caused users to be sin binned for a period. Also covers fake social media accounts etc they detect.

I can't confirm regarding if clearing cookies may help your issue. I haven't checked what they store in the form of cookies. Easiest way try entry on another device. Gleam store all your social media accounts used for previously entered Gleam run giveaways.

I find that information handy for other entry forms used eg Raftercopter ones that want you to type/paste in your social media details and can't remember what the EXACT details are. Your social media account details used can be found in the source code of any Gleam comp. Thou you may not necessarily want to use the same ones.

One hint to find your issue may be to open any gleam comp and open the source code to check what social media is registered with them.
*Right click on a gleam page select view source and search for "initContestant" the following data is all the details for your entry methods registered with them, including things like is your account with Gleam banned.

Hope something there helps. Good luck.

Lemond
07 Mar 17 3:51 PM

PS if anyone knows if the setting for what timezone/region a gleam giveaway is hosted in the source page it would be appreciated.
I think that information isn't provided. The timezone_offset setting reflects when a giveaway ends. I.e. it doesn't allow of changes for Daylight Savings since it started. I.e. Need to work out the current UTC time for where it's hosted and compare to my pc settings in UTC time. Then use all that for calculating when the daily bonus is due.

I know ONCE entered you get a confirmation email which displays the host timezone/region. Hoping to find some indication before entering so can do that automatically. What I've done works it out with a discrepancy when giveaways start and end either side of Daylight Saving where it's hosted. Later on will work on that "feature".

Got ideas to narrow it down eg if timezone is UTC -5 hours for a given date would give list of timezone/regions that fit. i.e. Maybe northern hemisphere and Southern hemisphere timezone/regions.

If obtained a list of gleam comps and their details in batches then can prioritize for entry if interested in the giveaway of course.

It would be handy for what I've done for a rolling 24 hour countdown timer for daily bonus entries. :)

So for the database developing, apart from managing what I've entered, including daily bonuses I'm setting up automatic retrieval of giveaways, starting with the Gleam ones :)

Lemond
07 Mar 17 3:55 PM

So far implement data entry form and adhoc retrieval of Gleam comps details given it's URL which does all the data entry. Like bookmarking copy the link in hit get details and presto! Tagged and bagged. Lets me know in my local date/time when it ends and when daily bonus are due.

Currently working on summary lists in order or daily bonus expiry at the time of request. Working fairly well excluding the discrepancy of Daylight Saving at the host timezone region allocated.

One major reason for doing a database was help manage these pesky daily entries. So far this month I'm managing around 70 per day to do over numerous timezone/regions. Oh the fun . lmao. Well it is now that got then presented a ordered summary list. :)

Lemond
07 Mar 17 5:07 PM
V

@Lemond I got a migraine reading this

vnessa
07 Mar 17 7:13 PM

me too!!

wolverine
07 Mar 17 9:52 PM

Lemond for President!! Mate you should seriously have your own blog for trouble shooting! Your information is accurate and helpful although I cheated and had a disprin before I read the comments lol

Trevsta
08 Mar 17 3:46 PM

@Trevsta lol. Yeh been delving into the inner workings lately for the Gleam comps. Automatically extracting their details to save on data entry. Aiming to have the database do the leg work finding comps and have their details downloaded while sleeping :) A lot faster having the info local the having to struggle manually waiting for web pages to load etc. Then it helps organise/prioriste which to do first for the day, I.e how long I got to do the daily bonus etc. Same applies to other entry methods. Booking while helps doesn't remind you to check back automatically.

Some note worthy things regarding Gleams comps are more then just a simple entry form! I.e system for promoters to manage giveaways with checks in place.

Their major disadvantage you can be locked into that social media account. So apart from first get yourself a separate email for comping the same might apply for your personal social media accounts.

Lemond
09 Mar 17 12:28 AM
P

Thanks for your help everyone. I'll try some of these methods and see what happens.

Patloveswinning
09 Mar 17 12:44 AM
P

Thanks for all your help guys. I contacted Gleam directly and they were a bit bewildered by it themselves, but were very helpful. It seems to be a glitch with Firefox. I disable my plugins but still no luck, so I just installed Chrome and it seems to work fine using another browser.

Patloveswinning
12 Mar 17 12:16 AM

@Patloveswinning :) Yeh first thing I would tried switch browsers and/or devices. Did you try reinstall Firefox?

I'm not sure regarding Firefox if it has compatibility modes like MS Explorer. Webpages have instructions which browsers and versions are compatible for best viewing a webpage properly.

I don't use firefox with the Gleam comps. I usually use Chrome one major reason that's where I've got all the passwords saved for the social media accounts. I have about 6 different internet browsers installed and usually switch between Chrome and MS Internet Explorer 11/Edge. It can be handy in a crunch to just switch browsers. Come across some stubborn entry forms where submit buttons wouldn't display etc. It's a lot easier to just switch browsers and try again, then to work out the issue. Could be anything from incompatible browsers to a plug-in causing issues.

I did encounter a similar problem last week with not being able to display a Gleam giveaway properly. I wouldn't show past the top half of the entry form. This occurred when I was using a webcontrol I've embedded in a form using MS Access for the database managing my comps . That issue occurred when I attempted to force the webcontrol to use the MS Edge browser engine via registry settings. Gleam comps displayed fine in a external MS Edge browser. It could of been I've used the incorrect registry setting to force it to use the MS edge browser engine. I reverted to using Internet Explorer 11. Slight pain as opening another browser consumes my valuable 2 GB of PC memory.

Anyone attempting to use webcontrols within an application you will need to know how to change the default MS setting of using the Internet Explorer 7 engine. God like that's compatible with most sites theses days. Not!

(See registry settings)
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/patricka/2015/01/12/controlling-webbrowser-control-compatibility/

Note: With the webcontrol that's provided with MS Access and other MS software development environments, it only allows you to use Edge/Internet Explorer engines.
So I've had to add social media accounts and various website like this one into the password lists for Internet Explorer. Grr had to reset my password. Who can ever remember them all for the zillion different sites.

Anyone curious may notice some applications installed with their own registry settings in those locations to force which MS browser engine to use by default. Must be set correctly to use what version of Internet Explorer you have installed to work!

***Warning don't go playing around changing registry settings unless know exactly what you're doing. :) ****

Anyone that prefers using say MS Excel to manage their competitions might find a webcontrol handy. The reason I embedded one on a form in MS Access was to save on flicking between it and a webpage when selecting daily bonus entries. I.e. I've set up click on a competitions description and display the webpage. I've also provided the option to display in external webpage for some giveaways which have videos to watch. :)

Lemond
12 Mar 17 2:02 PM