Forum

General Chatter

Just wondering. I used to win say 10-15 prizes a month. I'm doing nothing different now but lucky to get 1. Over time do people notice the same thing, is it time to change my email address or are there so many people doing competitions now the golden days are over? Thanks!

bexibex
07 Jan 18 4:33 PM

Do you enter comps on Facebook and other social media?

Smalot11
08 Jan 18 9:29 AM

Not much to go on apart from not winning as many prizes.

You might need to reinvent your "strategy" and sounds like resting on previous laurels and require to find new "hunting ground". Initially a promoter might be off radar thou that doesn't last forever. There can may various reason why having less success apart from increase in participants. With a bit legwork can still find "off radar" competitions, the challenge might be keeping those low key or praying they get overlooked. Not as easy as it sounds with the way social media work and competitions. I've seen that first hand a quite a few times with competitions been off radar then within hours go wild once a few pick up the scent.

It all depends what they majority of entry types of competitions doing. Random draws expect a bit of effort entering more competitions to pick up the same amont of wins. Or get smarter about them. They aren't all created equal. eg tagging comps etc etc. Also one of reasons may be harder to win. For random competitions they don't get much better odds then leaderboard with about 1/10 shot each month with around 40ish active members. Shh thou don't let that get out. lol

One good win can be better then dozens of prizes. @Samlot11 might agree that finding yourself a forte to work on can be more rewarding. WOL and creative entries which take more time and effort generally spread more slowly and attract less entries.

What you think @Samlot11 , doing your 1,000 comp challenge and the blog post help reassess your successful methods? :)

Lemond
09 Jan 18 8:16 AM

More people are doing comps as times are hard and everyone wants something for nothing so the odds are just stacked up against you. Plain and simple really. Its hard to win a F.B comp these days as everyone is on the band wagon. At the start of comps appearing on F.B it was easy to win, those days are gone.

SunnyLife
09 Jan 18 9:19 AM

@lemond like I tell everybody, if you stick with it long enough and strong enough you are bound to win! I have won prizes on Facebook with thousands of entries where as other times I have done a creative 25WOL entry on Facebook that I thought was a winner with only 20 other entrants and lost.

Smalot11
09 Jan 18 10:57 AM

@Smalot11 Yes, I do

bexibex
09 Jan 18 2:14 PM

OK thanks, maybe it's just a general trend - you start off strong and it tails off! I do enter lots of comps not on this website. I get the impression either there are many more compers these days or e.g. if you've won once, they might rule you out next time to give others a chance

bexibex
09 Jan 18 2:17 PM

@bexibex Good to hear your doing social media comps. Just keep with it and I'm sure you will back to winning 10-15 prizes a month.

Wishing you good luck for 2018!

Smalot11
10 Jan 18 6:56 AM

@Smalot11 @bexibex

I agree you need to persistent and determined. There's luck and then there's statistics and may take a bit of dedication to win consistently some might get lucky a win a few things without much effort on the first few tries ,thou the majority (all the rest the entered that same comp etc) will have to keep trying. It took me a few months for the first prize a DVD and around 6 months before starting getting a few consistent wins and over a year and 1/2 for this site.

I won my ipad pro with keyboad with odds arounnd 1/3000. So never let the odds stop you enter. I don't expect that to happen to often. Sometimes knowing the rough odds you can estimate the effort required to give yourself a reasonable chance. One comp comes to mind where that probably helped.

Usualy FB comps somewhere about 300-500 about how many active aussie compers about , plus the core fanbase of the promoter. If the majority of competitions finding at that participation levels you need to enter a decent amount of competitons like that video you saw. Then it's pot luck for which prize you win if entering various prizes. It nice to have a few decent odds competitions and X fingers pick up a few consistent wins between long shots.

To win like 10 to 15 a month I'd place bets a decent amount were probably from creative competitions where having a forte or persistence with those would help. Either that were finding a lot of low odds draws or stategies to give yourself a decent chance.

Yes more might be doing competitions or at least from the popular promoters and if following the masses or what's just listed on competition sites and being "lazy" doesn't help your chances. What I'm saying you sometimes doing a bit of legwork to find specific prizes of interest and/or off radar. Occassionaly will come across a few when go scrounging about. Not something done for a while as takes a bit of time.

One factor is not just the growing trend in number of participants but also how easy to find regular competitions and how readily they circulate among the compers, especially on Facebook. You just need to keep an eye out out what's circulating about on FB. Pros and cons with FB easy to find competitions thou if they are low odds that could change in a blink of an eye. Get the impression that a lot dont regularily use the various sites and mainly focus what's circulating on FB. A few times seen competitions listed on sites would of expected a lot more entries giving me that impression.

Mixing it up a bit from various sources and search methods might help a touch. The con it takes bit of time to hunt down competitions off radar and no guarantees it will stay off radar for long. X fingers at least long enough to win once. :)

Lemond
10 Jan 18 8:19 AM

@Lemond Thank you, I'm going to Tri(ton) my best to win it. :) :)

Good luck to you Mark for 2018!! and to you too @bexibex

Smalot11
10 Jan 18 12:50 PM

@Smalot11 lmao good luck. :)
Strangely seems off the main comping radar quickly looking on FB where I tripped over it doing a mini general explore. Then checked elsewhere if was already posted and sure enough. I'm not noticing the usual suspects which I use as indicators if a competition has gone "wild". Of course will get attention with the value of the prize in the general public . It's amazing say on the JB-HI posts get masses of entries and prizes like that might get a fraction.

Sometimes I'll do a quick check of a facebook comp for the usual suspects and guage if gone wild especially if it's low entry. Most times don't bother as it becomes a hassle to remember to get back to them. One of factors for picking up some regular wins is finding a few regular off radar ones. Thou if a promoter is doing regular giveaways they don't stay that way for long.

Lemond
10 Jan 18 7:24 PM

You used to win what!!!! I have been on this site doing competitions for over 5 years and I haven't so much won a tram ticket! I am an old age pensioner and by doing these competitions is my only hope of ever again going on another holiday.... I suppose I can just hope that something may happen before I'm shuttled off this mortal coil. :-)

Donald4564
17 Jan 18 8:11 AM

@Donald4564 Has the site being going that long? Hmm I haven't seen any competitions for tram tickets I'll have to keep an eye out for you. Best I can do at the moment is some rave tickets or for the tennis. :)

Lemond
17 Jan 18 4:26 PM

Thanks @bexibex you probably helped me a touch for winning a nice prize, regarding why not winning and doing a few things that should do more often. Sometimes you need to do a bit of scrounging about for nice competitions then pray they go relatively unnoticed.

Lemond
19 Jan 18 10:29 PM