Forum

Leaderboard

Why is the leaderboard discontinued?

sann-oh
02 Mar 18 12:50 PM

That's something you should ask the administration, I don't think any members would know the answer to that question.

wolverine
02 Mar 18 1:44 PM

It's a sad day. It was probably one of the things that united all the nice active members. Maybe with any luck, they will bring it back in the future. Good luck with the guessing game.

Lemond
02 Mar 18 3:57 PM

Without the leaderboard, this website is not the same. Even though I never got first, second, third, fourth or even fifth place at the end of the month, I liked to visit this website daily to see how many daily points I would get. Most of the time was under 5 for some reason :(

I also never won anything with the daily guesses, but I still guessed numbers every day just for the sake of getting 50 points in order to accumulate points for the leaderboard score. Now I can't see the point of doing that either because if the tradition continues, I will never guess the winning number anyway.

I am not sure what other members feel like, but I would like the leaderboard to get back......so there is a reason for me to visit competitions' website every day.

Ascompet
03 Mar 18 9:20 AM

Ascompet - how about for the competitions?? Is that a reason to visit competitions website every day.
Isn't that the whole point of this site, to know/learn about and possibly enter the competitions!

wolverine
03 Mar 18 10:19 AM

I've won before and never received any payment. Oh well. Probably can't afford to pay members out.

SunnyLife
03 Mar 18 4:29 PM

volverine, even I don't have much time as I work 7 days a week, I still like to enter competitions during my coffee time :). But there are so many different websites with listed competitions, and I might be wrong, but having the leader-board was what differentiated Competitions.com.au from other comping websites. And also, created some form of 'daily or regular' compers here - at least in my opinion.

Ascompet
03 Mar 18 7:37 PM

@Ascompet I agree with all that. Member exclusive competitions tend to attract members and keep them active. I have a few regular member exclusive competitions I do. It seems to be my forte/luck picking up a few wins from those this last year.

The leaderboard displayed the most active members and compers and got some great comping buddies from that. They tend to a lot nicer than picking up random social media comping contacts. Yeah, the daily points were something to look forward to an "instant coffee" and pick me up (well some days).

Lemond
04 Mar 18 8:48 AM

@wolverine Hmm for the quality or number of competitions there's a lot of competition out there from other comp sites. My general opinion there's a bit of delay of at least a few days when most competitions are already well circulated. That at times can crucially affect your chances of winning. For that reason, I don't usually pay that close attention to the competitions posted. Doing the leaderboard at least more likely to notice something interesting I've overlooked.

Eg Has the Eftpos comp been posted? Checking myself I can't see it listed. Entries started March 1st and Eftpos Australia gave a few days notice before it became active for entries. Considering it's enormous prize pool would expect it to be already posted.

For some competitions getting in early before the mass of entries can vastly improve your chances. Plus fully understanding the T&C's helps towards how to maximize your chances or know what's required to potentially pick up a win or two, three......

There's still the guessing game, however, as shown by a lot of winners just do that and don't interact with the rest of site. It did have some attraction with the double guesses related to the leaderboard. Now that even that's lure has gone so it's a lot less attractive to return daily.

The site does have some pluses like it's format, ease of use and the forum for exchanging ideas. The leaderboard encouraged members to return daily and keep active. That in turn, promoted the social aspect to check out the forum. More importantly, it attracted members towards the featured competitions which help the site generate an income. Remember all competitions are about the promoter. :)

Lemond
04 Mar 18 9:14 AM

@lemond Might not be the place to mention this, but can you recommend any other good comp sites?

wolverine
04 Mar 18 9:30 AM

@wolverine Will start with Ozbargain. I post a few on occasions. Usually, around 20+ competitions a day are posted most times ASAP. Its' disadvantage would be it's based on the voluntary posting by members. Thankfully there some dedicated members.

They're a few others eg Lottos site which is paid. I don't like the format of that site. It looks like something out of the stone age. Considering members pay they could direct some funds towards a renovation. I don't use the site. There's a couple of other paid ones I can't recall off the top of my head. Personally, I wouldn't pay for any of them.

Freebies.com http://signup.freebies.com/global/refer?refer=196236 my referral gives extra points for the member exclusive comp and its monthly leaderboard. Lately, I not trying hard for that. I play it strategically once in a while. I'm saving up points for a month down the track after a top 10 mid last year. That has some Aussie comps there. I don't pay close attention to those. I.e. too many sources of comps.

That's a small list Ozbargain probably the best of the lot. They also have sections for freebies worth checking out regularly.

For FB competitions keeping a rough eye on what's circulating. FB is where most probably finding competitions. I.e. most promoters will post competitions there. From there they circulate about.
You could do the same for other social media. That process can be bit more legwork. There are pros and cons for all comp sites. If it's listed means it's probably well circulated. In January most of my wins were from "off-radar" comps with relatively low entry. (less than 50). This year I've generally changed tactic and on occasions focus more on those more likely to win.

There are tons more including international sites I used to regularly check. It's too exhausting to regularly check them. Some automation might solve that one day.
I've just resumed working on that. It helps now that I've got decent PC. It's slow and steady process. Somewhere in my bookmarks probably got dozens to potentially thousands of regular locations could be keeping an eye out. Argh, my bookmarks are extensive and have a life of there own. A rightful mess.

That what was mainly working on for "few" months last year. Not just the interface to help manage what I've entered but a system to help collate competitions to enter. If really trying to keep on the ball for competitions of interest it's a lot of legwork checking various regular locations. Potentially could do things like highlight "off-radar" competitions worth entering, that's if they stay that way. Also, things like reminders for daily entries or store my creative entries for future inspiration. Gee I've got a lot of ideas on the back burner. At the moment getting core things required down pat.

I'll have to properly go through my bookmarks to see what decent sites/links I've accumulated. Some I might have got around to putting into a database which potentially could be integrated.

Lemond
04 Mar 18 9:58 AM

@Lemond and @Volverine, maybe it is worth to mention that Ozbargain's members also use their referral links to gain bonus points when entering competitions. In my opinion, that also create some sort of comping community there

Ascompet
04 Mar 18 8:00 PM