Forum

Feedback / Suggestions

SCAM ALERT - I received an SMS last night allegedly from Woolworths saying I had won a $500 Woolworths Gift Voucher.
Underneath was the following: http://bit.ly/Woolworths-Giftcards
I did not open it as I am suspicious about it but I tried to open it on my computer because I have Norton Security. It came up with a STOP do not open.
Has anyone else received one of these yet?

gaseja
14 Feb 17 12:01 PM

@gaseja, my inbox is flooded with this type of offer. From what I've read about these promotions, they have nothing to do with Woolworths, Coles, Aldi or any grocery outlet. It's all about getting you to confirm your details. Once you give your mobile phone number ( so they can 'contact' you - yeah, right), you end up subscribed to a SMS service where they spam your mobile phone, and you pay for that! Upwards of $5 per SMS received. You have to opt out if you want to avoid further charges. Absolute rort. Thankful that your ... computer said no!

toxicgherkin
14 Feb 17 3:45 PM

You can always tell the real competitions from the scam ones. I try to unsubscribe from them, but does not always work. Least they go to the junk folder. I think there is one going around from Qantas and Virgin as well. As if Qantas and Virgin would be giving away travel vouchers.

SunnyLife
14 Feb 17 3:48 PM
I

I unsubscribed and it only made it worse.
I been getting emails at 4am every 3 hours until 1am

In_it_to_win
15 Feb 17 10:26 AM

@gemini69 Like Comp_chick mentioned if it's a scam unsubscribing can be act like confirmation of your email. Why keeping track of competitions entered either mentally or various methods can help. If you don't recognize the promoter advice to bin it. Thou I have received emails for legit wins that confused me as they didn't match the giveaway and didn't explain exactly what it was for etc. In that case you can generally tell when it's a mass scam/spam emails as usually have that generic feel about them.

Lemond
16 Feb 17 6:29 AM

Regarding what ends up in the junk folder, argh it's not consistent I've got a tug of war between what things I'd like to keep and what goes to the junk. It's more likely wins go to the Junk folder and spam ends up in the inbox.
I'm wishing I kept list of who exactly I've subscribed to etc . I should add that to the database functionality I'm developing for comping.

Lemond
16 Feb 17 6:33 AM

UPDATE: I have discovered it you type in the bit.ly address and then add x+ to it, it shows you the fully URL. It turns out this one is from SweepOn. Go glad I didn't press on it. @Comp_chick Yes I agree it does make it worse, that is why I have set up Rules in my email so that these go straight to my Junk box.

gaseja
17 Feb 17 9:47 AM